I love to be active. Last February I buckled down and got a membership to my local gym. I was really interested in trying different classes. One year later and I pretty much only went to the gym a handful of times throughout the year. $40 a month was not worth paying for.
This past week I decided that the gym just wasn’t worth it for me. I managed to stay active and fit all year long without having to go to my gym. I wrote down a list of activities that I can do instead of going to the gym. Here are seven ideas I came up with:
P.S. – Be sure to read my last paragraph at the end of the blog for some fun announcements/updates!
- SWIM – I know it’s January and you probably think I’m crazy for starting off with this one. I live in New England and a dip in the ocean is not an option during the winter months. Instead, there are tons of indoor swimming facilities around me. I searched around and found places that offer a yearly membership (around $8 a month) to use not only the swimming pool but the other cardio and weight machines around. SCORE! If you happen to live in a warmer climate then definitely consider taking a daily dip.
- TRAMPOLINE PARKS – Another thing that surrounds me is trampoline parks. Most places offer “free jump” where you can come in and jump around as you please. Other places offer jumping classes such as “yoga jump” “pilates” “HIIT jump”. All trampoline parks near me have deals where what ever time you come in at that the price you pay to jump for an hour (and trust me all you really need is an hour to jump).
- SKIING/SNOWBOARDING – Hey, guess what else we have in New England. Yupp. Mountains. Skiing is a hobby of mine that I’ve done since I was a kids. Skiing is a great way to get out doors. Nothing is better than hours of fresh air and beautiful scenery. I will admit skiing is pretty pricy. But mountains offer special deals you just have to search around for them. Another thing Phil and I do yearly is go to a Warren Miller Film. When you go to the film you get a lot of free/BOGO tickets to Mountains in your area.
- INDOOR SPORTS – We happen to have an indoor volleyball/ tennis courts near us. This is great to do with a small group of friends. Most courts charge 7$ per court!
- WATER SPORTS – If you live in a cold climate like I do, then you’ll have to wait for the weather to warm up to do these. Kayaking and Surfing are two water sports I love to do. If you already have (or know someone who has) a kayak or surfboard then this activity can be free!
- AT HOME WORKOUT – This is by far the least exciting suggestion on my list. But, if you’re a busy person only looking to get that half hour of exercise in a day then working out in the comfort of your own home is the way to go. There are tons of website and youtube videos out there to get you up and moving. My top two are FAB FIT FUN WORKOUTS and BLOGILATES ON YOUTUBE. This is also an amazing way to work out for free!
- FIND LOCAL FITNESS CLASSES – Finally, my last suggestion is to look around your area for fitness classes you’re interested in. We have a local trapeze studio that offer aerial yoga, and lara hoop classes for a low as $10/45min session. Some studios also offer free or trial classes. You never know what you can find out there! I love to get a small group of friends together and explore different classes offered in town.
That’s it for this weeks post! I hope I inspired you to ditch the gym and get out there to try something new! If you have any other fitness options please leave them in the comments below!
This year I’m trying something new. Every WEDNESDAY I hope to get a new post out on my blog. I really want to inspire others to try new things and visit new places. Some of you have noticed that I have a SHOP tab on my home page. It’s currently empty, but I’m hoping to announce some exciting projects coming out this year. If you haven’t already subscribed to my blog please think about it (the form is over on the right side of the page)! Starting this FRIDAY I will have weekly emails full of insider tips and tricks (don’t worry I don’t send out more than two so I wont blow up your email) plus you’ll be the first to hear about any projects and collaborations! There may even be some special discounts and deals only open to those on my mailing list.
Also be sure to follow me on INSTAGRAM for all my adventures!