EASY CARROT SOUP. PERFECT FOR THE FALL!
HELLO EVERYONE! With fall in the air I decided to share my all time favorite soup recipe. Don’t let the name turn you away. This soup is easy to make and tastes delicious. My favorite part about this soup is that it’s just broth. No chunks means that you get to consume all those veggies your body needs (or am I the only one that pushes my veggies to the side when eating soup?).
This recipe was discovered on our recent trip to Iceland. The cafes are always filed with soup and bread. This soup however, stood out the most. I could really taste every vegetable and herb. It was so good! I couldn’t wait to come home and give this recipe a try on my own. I’m excited to say, I nailed it on my first try. I served this to all my picky friends and family members and not one person hated it! This recipe has quickly become a staple in our house.
My secret ingredient when making soup is TURMERIC. Turmeric is called the spice of life (even though it’s really not spicy) in India because of it amazing benefits (antioxidant, anti inflammatory, blood purifier, cancer prevention, heals stomach ulcers, helps cough and asthma, improves digestion, prevents prevention of alzheimer’s, just to name a few). Since soup is is mainly consumed in the colder months when colds and flus spread I love adding turmeric for that extra boost to my immune system.
- 1/2 SMALL BUTTERNUT SQUASH DICED
- 4 TO 5 LARGE CARROTS PEELED AND DICED
- 1 SMALL YELLOW ONION DICED
- 1/2 TABLE SPOON OF TURMERIC POWDER
- 5 SPRIGS OF FRESH ROSEMARY
- SALT AND PEPPER
- 1 CHICKEN BOLLUION CUBE ***
- 1 BOX OF CHICKEN STOCK ***
- 2 CUPS OF WATER
*** IF MAKING THIS VEGAN REPLACE THE CHICKEN STOCK WITH VEGGIE STOCK AND TAKE OUT THE CHICKEN BOLLUION CUBE
1. IN A LARGE DUTCH OVEN HEAT 1 TABLESPOON OF OLIVE OIL OVER MEDIUM HEAT
2. ADD ONIONS AND STIR UNTIL ONIONS ARE TRANSLUCENT
3. ADD CARROTS, BUTTERNUT SQUASH, CHICKEN BOLLUION CUBE, SALT, PEPPER, ROSEMARY AND STIR
4. COVER AND LET SIT FOR 2 MINUTES
5. ADD TURMERIC , ANOTHER PINCH OF SALT AND PEPPER AND STIR AGAIN
6. COVER AND LET SIT FOR 5 MINUTES
7. ADD CHICKEN BROTH, UP THE HEAT, STIR, AND COVER UNTIL BROTH BOILS
8. AFTER THE BROTH HAS BOILED FOR 10- 15 MIN OFF THE HEAT AND LET THE SOUP COOL
9. TRANSFER THE VEGGIES TO A FOOD PROCESSOR OR USE AN EMERSION BLENDER
10. PUREE UNTIL SMOOTH
11. ADD THE PUREED VEGGIES BACK IN TO THE DUTCH OVEN AND PUT BACK ON THE STOVE
12. TURN STOVE BACK ON TO MEDIUM HEAT AND ADD WATER AND MORE ROSEMARY
13. BRING SOUP TO A SIMMER
14. LET SIMMER FOR 10 – 15 MINUTES
15. COOL AND ENJOY
You know what goes great with soup? BREAD! Go check out my homemade bread recipe.
I’d LOVE to hear from you! Tell me your favorite soup to make (i’m always looking for new inspiration). Come back next Friday for another great recipe!